Louvain Finance (LFIN), the finance center of the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) has several openings as Ph.D. student (full time research position leading to a Ph.D. degree, with duties on financial data support) both at the campuses of Louvain la Neuve.
- Having a Master degree (min 90 ECTS) in finance, management, economics or any related fields by July 2018. For excellent candidates, September 2018 would be tolerated;
- average grades of 80% or more;
- excellent knowledge of English;
- Strong empirical and/or quantitative skills
- good knowledge or willingness to learn financial datasets such as Bloomberg, Bureau van Dijk, etc.
- You will contribute to the development of the Financial data centre of Louvain Finance, in particular by being a point of contact for datasets such as Bloomberg.
- You will contribute to the development of the Louvain finance team, by for example managing the organization of important events or seminars
- You will participate to the research events organized by Louvain Finance
- You will perform a Ph.D. in Economics and management (with orientation finance)
You will be performing a Ph.D. in the following areas (indicative):
- Macro Finance, Government and corporate term structure of interest rates, monetary policy
- Big data in finance and Mixed frequency analysis
- competitive salary (1800 Euro net a month + social insurance) and a personal yearly budget
- outstanding, dynamic, international, and multidisciplinary research environment, at the highest level according to European standards
- possibility to co-operate with outstanding international scholars
- a contract of one year, which can be extended to 4 after positive evaluation
- possibility to spend part of the Ph.D. abroad (in agreement with the promoter)
- a full-time position starting in September 2018 (in exceptional cases earlier)
Recently graduated Ph.D. students from Louvain Finance are now working at National Banks (National Bank of Belgium and National Bank of Luxembourg), private institutions (such as KPMG) and universities (Rotterdam School of Management or IESEG business school). Outstanding candidates will be encouraged and helped to apply for additional funding in order to get scholarships.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with object the vacancy reference;
- Include the PDF of your transcript of the grades obtained so far (even if you do not have the transcript from your January session it is fine);
- Include your CV with at least one contact reference and a motivation letter
- Deadline: March the 15th. The positions are open until they are filled, hence apply ASAP if interested.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UCL is a world-class university offering the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations between its various research groups. Since its creation in 1425, UCL has both reached out to the world and invited it in. Through student exchanges, hosting international professors and researchers, interuniversity partnerships, participation in European and global networks, and a long tradition of cooperation in international development, UCL has exerted influence throughout the world for nearly 600 years. Today, UCL has 7 campuses in the French-speaking Community of Belgium. Its main campus is located in the city of Louvain-la-Neuve. The town offers a unique modern living environment inside a naturally preserved neighbourhood, conveniently connected at the heart of Europe.
The selected candidates will be part of the institute for multidisciplinary research in quantitative modelling and analysis (IMMAQ). The IMMAQ was founded in 2009 as a research institute which combines fundamental and applied research in the fields of economics, statistics, finance, econometrics and operational research. It is composed by more than 200 researchers and consultants, of about 15 different nationalities. The common denominator of the IMMAQ is the use of a coherent set of tools and methods for quantitative modelling and analysis. The IMMAQ is made of five different entities: the CORE (Center for Operations Research and Econometrics), the IRES (Institute of Economic and Social Research), the ISBA (Institute of Statistics, Biostatistics and Actuarial Sciences), LFIN (Louvain Finance) and the CMCS (Statistical Methodology and Computing Service). These entities have strong international spirit and some of them have proven history of academic excellence. For example, the CORE has celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016 and IRES will celebrate his 90th anniversary in 2018. Each of these entities are geographically very close, favouring the interaction among research members.
The successful candidates will be affiliated to Louvain Finance, the finance team of the IMMAQ. This is the youngest team of the IMMAQ, that has decided to extend its research excellences to the finance research. Louvain Finance is one of the biggest and most dynamic Belgian financial centres. It closely cooperates with many Belgian and European research entities such as the National Bank of Belgium and the European Central Bank. Thanks to these collaborations Louvain Finance has a prestigious seminar series, Ph.D. courses, and conferences, and organizes the European edition of the So.Fi.E. training school. This allows the team members to exchange research ideas and cooperates with world class researchers in finance. In the last years Louvain Finance has welcomed John Campbell, Viral Acharya, Frank Diebold, David Lando, John Cochrane, Kenneth Singleton, Marco Pagano, Allan Timmermann, Eric Ghysels, Lars Peter Hansen, Murillo Campello and Geert Bekaert among others. In the academic year 2017-2018, scholars such as Andrew Lo and Darrel Duffie will intervene in events co-organized by Louvain Finance.
Team members of Louvain Finance regularly cooperate with scholars such as Eric Ghysels, Murillo Campello, Damiano Brigo, etc.
Faculty / phd candidate
Louvain-la-Neuve , Belgium