Professor in Structural Engineering
Full time, 100%
Structural Engineering with focus on structural safety and reliability
Structural engineering deals with the principles and methods for the design and detailing of load-bearing structures. The objective in design is to create structures with adequate safety and serviceability under the influence of relevant loads and actions during the intended service life of the structure. The core of the subject considers performance and design of concrete, masonry, steel and timber structures. Another important aspect is structural reliability; a systematic approach for considering risks and uncertainties in design to ensure structural components and systems perform as intended with a sufficient degree of safety against failure, damage or loss of functionality during the intended service life. A primary aim for research activities is that they should be driven by the development of rational and competitive systems for practical construction practices. Such research is often carried out in collaboration with industry actors as well as public entities (infrastructure owners, regulatory agencies, etc).
- Research within the subject area of structural engineering with specific focus on structural safety and reliability.
- Actively work towards initiating and coordinating national and international research programs.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Active collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Foster an environment for creative and innovative thinking
- Teaching within the subject area in first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Administrative tasks related to the work duties listed above.
Prioritized work duties in terms of research activities shall be towards further developing the divisions primary focus areas concerning either climate change adaptation and/or biobased building structures.
Appointment as professor requires that the applicant has:
- Demonstrated research expertise.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Completed at least five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means, unless there are valid reasons.
- Completed a PhD degree within the subject area or acquired equivalent scientific knowledge within the subject area by other means.
- Documented knowledge and experience within the subject area including publication in subject relevant, peer reviewed, high ranking international journals.
- Ability to think in innovative and visionary ways, documented by research and development activities adapted to a wide range of applications.
- Documented experience in attracting external funding.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
When assessing the applicants, special importance will be given to research and teaching expertise within the subject. There will, however, be a strong focus towards research expertise for the current opening.
For appointments to professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A very good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- A very high level of teaching skills, including a very good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- A good ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- A good ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop an academic organization.
- Ability to lead a distinguished research group.
- Experience in leading/being a leader for national and international research programs and collaborations.
- Experience with research in collaboration with non-academic actors.
- Experience with having actively initiated innovative research activities.
- Organizational skills needed to lead and help develop personnel within the academy.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research, first and second cycle education and innovation within the division, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
More about the position
The position is within Lund University, Faculty of Engineering (LTH), Department of Building and Environmental Technology, Division of Structural Engineering (http://www.kstr.lth.se/english/). Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 42 000 students and 7400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
The Division of Structural Engineering currently employs six senior researchers, seven active PhD candidates, one lab technician and administrative personnel. The division's laboratory provides access to, among others, equipment for advanced mechanical testing as well as a climate chamber. Work within the division is carried out in a spirit of collaboration and collegiality. Leadership of the division is rotated amongst the employees.
As part of our teaching is in Swedish, you should be able to teach in Swedish after a maximum of two to three years of employment (depending on your language background). If Swedish is not your native language, the Department offers the possibly to learn Swedish on a basic level within the first few years of employment.
To work in Lund, Sweden
Lund is a university and research city within the Greater Copenhagen region with world class cultural heritage and activities, schooling, medical services and public transport. Lund hosts two large-scale research facilities, MAX IV-laboraties and the European Spallation Source (ESS). For more information see https://www.lund.se/en/ http://www.greatercph.com/ https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/about/work-at-lund-university/why-work-at-lund-university
To work in Sweden entails access to a social security system with health insurance, free school etc.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more: http://www.lth.se/index.php?id=71223
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Faculty / professor
Paradisgatan 2, Lund SE-221 00
Lund , Sweden